Walmart has issued a recall after discovering a bacterium in the product that has been related to four illnesses and two fatalities.
The bacteria Burkholderia pseudomallei was found in the aromatherapy spray, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
According to the CDC, the spray, “Better Homes & Gardens Lavender & Chamomile Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones,” was discovered Oct. 6 at the home of a Georgia individual who was diagnosed with melioidosis in late July.
The CDC said it will keep testing the germs in the bottle to see if they match the bacteria found in the four individuals. According to the CDC, the symptoms of melioidosis are similar to those of a cold or flu.
Between February and October 21, the tainted spray was sold in around 55 Walmart shops and on Walmart’s websites.
The remaining bottles of this spray, as well as similar goods, have been removed off Walmart’s bookshelves and website.
Inger Damon, head of the CDC’s Division of High-Consequence Pathogens and Pathology, stated in a statement, “Our hearts go out to the families who have been touched by this scenario.” “We at the CDC have been alarmed to see these deadly illnesses spread across time and space. That is why our researchers have been working nonstop to identify the cause of the melioidosis infections in these individuals. We believe that our research may aid in the protection of those who may have been exposed to this spray.”
The lavender and chamomile room spray, as well as five other scents in the very same product range, were recalled by the Consumer Product Safety Commission and Walmart.
The CDC will continue to look into whether additional aromatherapy fragrances and brands may be dangerous.